The eligible parliaments for membership to APLESA as provided for in the preamble of the APLESA Constitution and in Article IV, section 1-3 are those within the Southern Africa Development Cooperation (SADC) region, the East African Community (EAC) and those in the Horn of Africa.. However, quite a number of these have not yet joined the Association yet.
The current membership to APLESA are as follows;
- East African Legislative Assembly (EALA),
- South Africa,
- Zimbabwe, and
The following were once members but have gone into abeyance and are no longer active in APLESA activities. They are
We are doing our best to attract them back to APLESA
Other parliaments have shown interest to join APLESA and we are waiting to receive a communication from anyone of them indicating intentions to join us. We have interacted with the representatives of the;
- Democratic Republic of Congo Parliament of the (DRC).
- Pan African Parliament (PAP)
However, there are others that are eligible to join APLESA as members. They include;
- Madagascar and
- South Sudan
To become an APLESA member, the constitutional provisions state as follows;
- The membership of the Association shall comprise of APLESA Member Parliaments.
- Associate membership shall be open to other Parliaments.
- Observer status may be accorded to libraries of legislatures on the invitation of the APLESA Executive Committee.
APLESA is about to complete the making of a new constitution. It is only then that new provisions for membership could change
APLESA therefore wishes to call upon all the eligible members to join the Association!